Courses that are geared to prepare students in English and Mathematics for the newly updated Specialized High School Admissions Test (SHSAT).
NYC SPECIALIZED HIGH SCHOOL Exam (Taken in Grade 8 or 9)
Two sections: ELA and Math
ELA topics covered: recognizing and correcting language errors in a general piece of literature; understanding, analyzing, and interpreting reading passages.
Math topics covered: mathematical concepts and principles, word problems and computation problems involving addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, fractions, decimals, and statistics.
ELA section (57 items)
- 20 revising/editing questions: 5-8 stand-alone questions and 2 passages with 6-8 questions each
- 6 reading passages with 5-7 questions each
- All questions are multiple choice questions
Math section (57 items)
- 5 grid-in questions
- 52 multiple choice word problems and computational questions
The Specialized High Schools that require the SHSAT are:
- Bronx High School of Science
- Brooklyn Latin School
- Brooklyn Technical High School
- High School for Math, Science and Engineering at City College
- High School for American Studies at Lehman College
- Queens High School for Sciences at York College
- Staten Island Technical High School
- Stuyvesant High School